Thursday, September 30, 2010

R.I.P. Stephen Jahner

Last week I found out Steve Jahner died. I haven't heard the results of the autopsy but apparently he collapsed in his store one afternoon. At least I know if he was in his store he was probably happy - whistling or humming a tune while helping people.

I'm totally bummed out about Steve passing away because I hadn't talked to him in a few years. My wife and I recently moved back to the midwest and I was really looking forward to stopping by the store and catching up with him.

Steve gave me my first job working at his comic book store "Capital City Comics & Books". I was... 14 or 15? It was great. I was always working - Steve made sure of that. And I did all the grunt work from dusting EVERYTHING to alphabetizing EVERYTHING. After a couple years he'd let me open/close the store so he could sleep in or something. Basically he taught me about hard work and responsibility. If I messed up I'd have to make it up elsewhere. It happened from time to time. But Steve didn't hold anything against anyone for long.

I studied superheroes and layout while sorting comics, learned about new authors and the world outside sorting books and got some anatomy in while organizing adult magazines. (That was usually my punishment for being late.)

Steve also taught me how to play guitar. I didn't practice enough, (just like piano) but he kept pushing me. I learned about a whole slew of new music from him. Classics like Jethro Tull and Earth Wind & Fire.

All in all - I will sorely miss Steve. I will think of him most every day because he gave me the nickname "space JASE". I use it everywhere. My website is www.spacejase.com - I owe you a lot Steve.

Thanks Steve.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm Monica Jahner, Stephen's sister, please look me up on facebook and leave me a message. Would like to connect with you.

Thank you!