Friday, March 31, 2006

Gallery of Computation


Here's a website by this guy (Jared Tarbell) who codes art. He makes these java applets that make abstract art. They are really pretty. You can go to the thumbnail gallery to see what each one does basically. I like the process - watching them grow. They seem alive and are new every time. There's a certain randomness that makes each one unique. They are soothing. Go check them out. Just click on one and then select the size you want. It may take a second for the applet to load, but then you can make them over and over. If anyone codes at all, he even makes the code available. Pretty sweet.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

those are SO cool! I agree, they are so soothing to watch.....

Anonymous said...

Puts my spam.art to shame...

spaceJASE said...

I don't think so, Chu. You're comparing apples to oranges. These are generated from code with the purpose of beign pretty. Yours are generated from JUNK and they end up pretty. LOL That's pretty awesome just because it's not meant to be pretty but you make it pretty! I like feeding the SPAM-art more spam - I feel like I'm contributign my trash to soemthign good. This guy's - you just click your mouse and watch - much more passive. Maybe you could mix your formulas to make some hybrid Spam art!

Anonymous said...

Hah! Thanks for your vote of confidence...

Hopefully I will have time to tear his code apart and see how much of it I can integrate. Using Java applets is much better than using Flash anyway....

Time to pick up more programming skills, i guess...